Saturday, February 10, 2007

I Once Did Bear the Wrath of God

Original tune: O Christ, Our Hope, Our Heart’s Desire; Henry W. Greatorex, 1851
Micah 7:8-13, John 5:24-27

I once did bear the wrath of God,
For sin against his glory
Until he pleads my case at last,
My eyes will never see.

God speaks his word into my heart
My eyes behold his dealings.
Though I will fall, He makes me rise
Rejoice, O soul, with singing.

Because of God’s own righteousness
My case in Christ is heard
My enemy no longer wins,
My hope is in His word.

Though all the world around me build
And set their sights on earth.
Help me get rid of lowly things
To show what Christ is worth.

For Jesus came to execute
The justice of his father
With all authority in hand
His chosen, He will gather.

I once did bear the wrath of God,
But Jesus took my place.
And since he pleads my guilty cause
At last, it’s all of grace.

1 comment:

B.J. Maxwell said...

With some hesitation about how anyone could improve O Christ, Our Hope, Our Heart's Desire, you've done a worthy job, my brother.

You crank more out than we can faithfully reflect on!